WE WOULD LOVE
Our content is
a public service!
IBF is 100%
Follow us on Twitter
This category covers a range of programs involving young people and bicycles: teaching young people
cycling skills, a vocation, personal management, business management and
community consciousness, and
giving them self-esteem, while promoting bicycling and diverting good bicycles from
the land fill.
If you live in any of the following community you can easily get involved with your
local youth bicycle program. Most of these organization accept donated bikes,
though some have constraints on what they can or will take. If
you don't live in a community with a program you will
probably find the people involved at these programs eager to help you set one up:
List is alphabetical by U.S. state / Canadian province, then city,
followed by programs "Outside
Note some "community
bike", "free bike", "bike library" programs have a
youth component so you might check this other page as well..
prevent email harvesting
the email addresses in this directory are un-hyperlinked and have an extra space
in them. To use the email address: cut-and-paste the
address and delete the space before the @ symbol. For those of you with
honorable intentions we are sorry for the inconvenience in communicating with
these fine organizations.
Arizona & British Columbia
- Bicycle Program, 5850 J Glendale Ave, Glendale, AZ 85301. Contact: Susan Bookspan.
Handlebar Helpers, Paiute
Neighborhood Center, 6535 E. Osborn, Scottsdale, AZ. Tel: 480-312-0002. Contact Terry Erickson,
email: terickson @scottsdaleaz.gov *. Earn-a-bike and
BICAS (Bicycle Inter-Community Action & Salvage),
44 W 6th St, PO Box 1811 , Tucson AZ 85702.
Tel: 520-628-7950. Contact: Kim Young. Email: bicasunderground @yahoo.com *.
Better Environmentally Sound Transportation (BEST), 197 E 17th Ave., Vancouver, BC V5V
1A5 Canada. Tel: 604-879-2453. Contact: Guy (Gee). Email: best @best.bc.ca
Workshops, Street Level Cycles, 90 Bolivar Drive, Berkeley, CA, Tel: 510-644-2577. Email: watersideworkshops @gmail.com
*. A nonprofit organization that
provides recreation opportunities, classes, and job-training for local youth
while offering services to the community including a bicycle shop and repair
facility, a full service wooden boat building shop and Berkeley's only
waterfront coffee shop.
- La Cueva, 695 Center St, Costa Mesa, CA 92627. Contact: John LeVere.
- Lennox Middle School, 3243 W 112th St., Inglewood, CA 90303. Contact: Lenny.
- Bikes 90800, 202 E Bart St, Long Beach, CA 90805. Tel.: 562-570-1640.
Contact Dave San Jose.
Cycles of Change, 2025 E 12th
St., Oakland CA 94601 CA. Tel: 510-595-4625. Email: cyclesofchange @yahoo.com
The Crucible, 1260 7th Street,
Oakland, CA 94607. Tel: 510-444-0919. Contact: Ismael Plasencia. Email: ismael
* Earn-a-bike program for youth
12yrs and older and an art bike class for students who have successfully
completed earn-a bike.
- Learn to Earn Program, 200 North Cherry, Ontario, CA 91764. Tel.: 909-988-6481.
Contact: Suzanne Thomas.
- Bicycle Education Training & Repair,
2200 McDonald Ave, Richmond CA 94801. Tel:
510-621-1221. Contact: Ben Gill. Email: bgill @rpal.org * .
- Adopt-A-Bike Foundation, 1111 Harris Street, San Bernardino CA 92411. Tel:
909-888-1695. Contact: Charlie Seymour. (possibly defunct)
- Bicycle Dojo, 1710 45th Ave., San Francisco, CA 94122. Email: cbmoore @sonic.net
Bike Hut, Pier 40, (Embarcadero
and Townsend), San Francisco, CA 94107. Tel: 415-543-4335. Contact:
Ted Thomas. Email: Tdthomas16 @aol.com *
Bike Kitchen, 1256 Mission St,
Mission District, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA. Email: info @bikekitchen.org
- Chain Reaction, 680 Alabama, San Francisco, CA 94110. Tel.: 415-642-7298.
Contact: Arturo Cato.
- Lowrider Bike Club, 534 Precita Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110. Tel.: 415-206-7756.
Contact: Marquez Rueben.
Pedal Revolution, 3085 21st St, San Francisco, CA 94110. Tel.: 415-641-1264.
Contact: John Scheffer. Email: theshop @pedalrevolution.org *
- Signs & Wonders, 256 Lewis Rd, San Jose, CA 95111. Contact: Alex Arostigui.
Trips for Kids/Re-Cyclery, 610
Fourth St, San Rafael, CA 94901. Tel.: 415-458-2986. Contact: Marilyn Price. Email: tfkbike @pacbell.net
The Bicycle Tree,
811 N Main St, Santa Ana, CA 92701. Tel: 714-760-4681. Email: info @thebicycletree.org
434 Olive St., Santa Barbara, CA 93103. Email: info @bicicentro.org
*. Programs include youth earn-a-bike,
adult classes and do-it-yourself shop hours.
A project of the
Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition.
Santa Barbara Middle
School, Santa Barbara CA. Bicycling is an integrated part of the
Green Ways to School, c/o The Hub for Sustainable Transportation, 703
Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Tel: (831)425 0667. Email greenways
- Union City Teen Workshop, 34009 Alvarado-Niles Rd, Union City, CA 94587. Tel:
510-471-3232. Contacts: Larry Orozco & Luis Del Rio.
Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia
Trip for Kids Denver/Boulder, Colorado.
Bike Together, 2825 Fairfax Street, Denver, CO 80207. Tel: (303) 393-1963.
Recycle Bicycle Program, 13101 Wapiti Trail, Pine, CO 80470. Tel: 303-908-7982 Contact: Bruce Lien, email: bikedadlien @yahoo.com *
- Trips For Kids Southern Colorado, PO Box 1413,
Pueblo, Colorado 81003. Tel: 719-250-0020. Email: info @tfksoutherncolorado.org *.
Sponsor and run several youth bicycle programs. Always need bicycles and
parts. Will pick up bicycles and parts in the area.
- Bicycle Education and Enrichment Program (BEEP), Education Committee,
Connecticut Bicycle Coalition, 1 Union Pl. Hartford CT 06103. Tel:
860-527-5200. Contact: Barry
- (no name), New Britain CT. Contact: Cliff, Email: bikecliff @sbcglobal.net *
Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana
- Campaign for a Prosperous Georgia, 1083 Austin Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307. Contact: James Chapman.
Cycles and Change, Atlanta, GA
Earn-a-Bike, Atlanta Bike
Coalition, Atlanta GA
SWIMBA (Southwest Idaho Mountain
Biking Assoc.), Boise, ID
Blackstone Bicycle Works,
6100 S Blackstone, Chicago, IL 60637. Tel: 773-241-5458. Contact: Andrew
Gregg. Email: blackstonebikes @gmail.com *.
- Project Wheel, Northern Illinois Univ., Dept. of Leadership Education and Policy
Studies, DeKalb, IL 60155-2866. Tel: 815-753-9341. Contact: Richard
Community Bike Project,
214 N. Madison St, Bloomington, Indiana 47402. Tel: 812.334-3254. Email:
bikeproj @bloomington.in.us *.
Community Bikes, 418 E 34nd St., Indianapolis IN 46205. Tel:
317-429-7973. Email: freewheelinbikes @gmail.com *.
- Bicycling for Louisville, 425 S 2nd St, Louisville KY 40202-1430. Tel:
502-582-1814. Contact: Barry Zalph, Exec. Dir. Email: info @bicyclingforlouisville.org * .
- Cabbage Patch Settlement House, Louisville KY. Youth earn-a-bike program.
- Wayside Christian Mission's Men's Shelter, Louisville KY. Earn-a-bike
Front Yard Bikes, Baton Rouge, 974 W Roosevelt St, LA. Email:
frontyardbikes @gmail.com * . Earn-a-bike and
Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts
- Lewiston Time Bank & Recycle, Howe-Two Exchange, #2 Howe St, Lewiston, ME
04240. Tel: 207-782-4202. Email: Howe2Exchange @yahoo.com *.
Community Bicycle Center, 21 Knight Farm Rd, Kennebunk ME 04043. Tel:
207-282-9700 . Email: info @communitybike.net or cbcofme @gwi.net *.
Artemus Racing, Bethesda/Chevy
Chase/Silver Spring MD. Teaching young people how to race.
Rockville Youth Bike
Project, Rockville MD. Tel:
301-461-5349. Contact: Mike McMillion,
mike @bikesfortheworld.org *. RYBP provides community service and
earn-a-bike opportunities to local youth, as well as bike & pedestrian safety
education in local schools, in cooperation with the
Bikes for the World
domestic and international program.
Community Bike Program, Hampshire
College, Amherst MA.
- Boston Bikes Youth Cycling Program, Office of the Mayor, 1 City Hall
Square, Rm 932, Boston MA 02201. Tel: 617-918-4270. Contact: Eric Sjoberg.
- Brockton Fights Back, PO Box 4722, Brockton, MA 02403. Contact: Jim Walsh.
Bikes Not Bombs, 59 Amory St, Roxbury, MA 02130. Tel: 617
522 0222. Contacts: Matt Soycher. Email: learn @bikesnotbombs.org *.
* Girls In Action (GIA); girls ages 10-13 have the opportunity to
engage in basic bicycle mechanics, bicycle outings, sleepovers, arts and
crafts and discussions on girls issues. We help girls to get active
physically and to learn to love bicycling! The girls meet Fridays from
* Youth Drop in Program (YDIP) currently meets Wednesday nights
from 3:30-6:30 and is a chance for youth to get some tutoring help with their
homework, bike rides, and some mechanics. Future plans as we increase
attendance include increasing the number of days to 2/week, field
trips/outings/overnights, shop projects, a scavenger hunt, and shared
experiences with other youth groups.
* Shipping bikes to and working with
bike organizations and appropriate technology organizations in other
countries, as well as helping to set up earn-a-bike programs and bike shops
in other countries. The contact for this is Carl Kurz, email: carl @bikesnotbombs.org *.
Cycle Kids, 5 JFK St., Cambridge, MA 02138. Tel: 617-661-0908. Email: info @cyclekids.org *.
4 King St, Worcester MA 01610. Tel: 508-579-9093. Email: gary @worcesterearnabike.org *.
Neighborhood bike shop that allows people of all ages to "earn" bikes from
of donated bikes in return for helping others. Accepts donations of all types of bikes.
Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Montana
Back Alley Bikes / The Hub of Detroit, 3535 Cass Ave.,
Detroit, MI 48201. (313) 879-5073. Email: shop @thehubofdetroit.org
Motion Initiative, 1035 Godfrey
Avenue SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Tel: 616-443-6442. Email: info @mibike.org *.
Open Roads Bikes,
1532 Riverview Dr, Kalamazoo,
MI 49003. Tel: 269-365-9142. Email: info @openroadsbike.org,
or openroadsbike @gmail.com *.
BicycleWorks, 4102 Shenandoah,
St. Louis, MO 63110. Tel: 314-664-0828.
- Small Blue Planet, PO Box 63325, St. Louis, MO 63163. Tel.:
314-772-6115. Contact: Roy Bohn. (May be defunct)
- Loon State Cyclists, 7824 Florida Cir., Brooklyn Park, MN 55445. Contact: Larry Martin.
(May be defunct)
Cycle for Change, 1915 E 22nd St,
Minneapolis, MN 55404. Tel: 612-787-7433. Email: info @cyclesforchange.org *.
Education/classes, youth programs, welcomes
bike donations, etc.
3515 Chicago Av S, Minneapolis, MN. 612-824-7581. A program to teach
at-risk youth to repair bikes.
- Phantom Bike Shop, 3660 43rd Ave. S, Minneapolis MN 55406.
Contacts: Mike Oker & Chris. (May be defunct)
North Bike Shop, 1830 Glenwood Ave. Minneapolis, MN. Tel: (612) 377-3029
Email: live-it @venturenorthbwc.org *.
- Cycle for Change, 712 University Ave
W, St Paul, MN 55104. Tel: 651-222-2080. Email: info @cyclesforchange.org *.
Education/classes, youth programs, welcomes bike donations, etc.
- Youth Express Bike Shop, 234 North Snelling, St Paul, MN 55104. Tel.:
- Free Cycles Missoula, 833 W Pine, Missoula, MT 59802. Tel.:
406-543-2383. Email: mist @strans.org
Nevada, New Mexico, New York & North Carolina
Bike Program, 145 Catron Dr, Reno NV. Tel: 775-337-1717. Email: kiwanis_bikes @sbcglobal.net
* . Ongoing clinics on bicycle repair and safe
riding practices for youth organizations, refurbishing of bikes for at risk
youth in our community.
- City of Albuquerque, PO Box 1293, Albuquerque, NM 87103. Tel.: 505-768-3532.
Contact: Craig Rivera.
Email: crivera @cabq.gov *.
The Bikeworks. 815 E. 10th St., Silver City NM 88061. Tel: 575-388-1444.
Operate an earn-a-bike program, affordable reconditioned bicycles, a workshop
with a free tool library, and a free-roaming yellow bike program.
Troy Bicycle Rescue, 15 Trinity
Avenue, Albany, NY. Tel: 518-573-7947. Email: tbr @breathingplanet.net *
- Grand Street Campus, 162 8th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215. Contact: Ira Perelson.
- Park Slope Middle School, 441 4th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215. Tel.: 718-788-0666.
Contact: Vince Canziani.
Recycle Ithaca's Bicycles
530 W Buffalo St., Ithaca, NY 14850. Tel: 607-256-5355.
Contact: Bob Wolfe Jung. Email: bschrempf @sscc-ithaca.org *.
- Center for Appropriate Transport, 38 E 4th New York NY 10003. Tel: 212-505-8276. Contact: George Bliss.
Children's Aid Society, 21 Jumel Place Rm B110, New York, NY 10032. Tel.: 212-569-2760.
Contact: Tare Gantt. .Email: taregantt @hotmail.com
- Henry Street Settlement, 367 Madison St, New York, NY 10002. Contact: Christina Koenig.
35 Pearl St, Brooklyn, NY 11201. Tel: 718-858-2972. Contact: Pasqualina. Email: rab
75 Ave C, New York, NY 10009. Tel: 212-475-1655.
- Urban Youth Bike Corps, 301 Cathedral Park Way #3A, New York, NY 10026-4066. Tel:
212-864-4449. Contact: Landon Wickman. Email: nycyclist @aol.com
- Urban Youth Bike Corps, 506 Lenox Ave., KP17102, New York, NY 10037. Tel: 212-939-4005.
Contact: Erik Clitte.
- Stillwater, NY. Contact: James Brown.
- Ashville Recyclery, 37 Mulberry St, Ashville NC 28804. Tel: 828-253-7930.
Contact: Lynn Williams.
Email: arecyclery @yahoo.com *. (may be defuncted)
- Spoke’n Revolutions,
Chapel Hill, NC
Ohio, Oklahoma, Ontario & Oregon
- The Bicycle Experience, 3074 Portsmouth Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45208. Tel.:
513-321-5919. Contact: Mike Self.
Ohio City Bike Coop, 1823 Columbus Rd, Cleveland OH
44113. Tel: 216-830-2667. Email:
webmaster @ohioCityCycles.org *
The Third Hand, Columbus OH. Contact: Lizandra Vidal
Bike Coop, Wilder
25, 135 West Lorain St., Oberlin, OH 44074. Tel: 440-775-5351. Email: bikecoop @oberlin.edu *
- Ardmore Recycle Bike Program, Ardmore OK. (may be defunct)
- Wheels After School, 523 NW 31st, Oklahoma City OK 73118. Tel: 405-524-2014. Contact:
Community Bike Network, 761
Queen St. W. #101, Toronto, ON M6J 1Y7 Canada. Tel: 416-504-2918. Contact: Maogosha Pyjor.
Brockville Bike Ministry,
Brockville ON. Contact: Eric Montgomery, Email:
emontgo1017 @gmail.com *.
- Two Wheel Drive, ON. Contact: Henry Summerville.
- Community Bike Program, 205 Granite St., Ashland, OR 97520. Tel.: 541-488-8126.
Contact: Elias DeChristo.
Email: salmandr @mind.net *.
Center For Appropriate Transport, 455 W First
Ave., Eugene, OR 97401. Tel: 541 343 5568. Contact:
Jan Vander Tuin. Email: [email protected] *.
Community Cycling Center,
Alberta, Portland, OR 97211. Tel: 503.287.8786. Contact:
Daniel Bohn. Email:
info @communitycyclingcenter.org *.
Pennsylvania, Quebec, Rhode Island
Community Bike Works, 235
N Madison, Allentown, PA 18102. Tel.: 610-434-1140. Contact: Stefan Goslawski,
info @communitybikeworks.org *
- Bethlehem Bicycle Co-op, 60 W Broad St #195, Bethlehem, PA 18018. Tel.:
610-954-5744. Contact: Damion Mill.
Coatsville Community Bike Works,
PO Box 203, Coatesville PA 19320. Tel: 610-383-4349. Email: info @coatesvillebikeworks.org *
Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg,
2266 Atlas Street, Harrisburg, PA. Tel: 717-571-2008. Email: recyclebicycle @verizon.net *
Adult & teen earn-a-bike, free kids bikes, free DIY repairs, free instruction.
- Kutztown Jr. High Cycling Club, 10 Deisher Ln, Kutztown, PA 19530. Tel.:
610-683-3575. Contact: Ron Imboden.
Cycling Foundation, 4323 Main St, Philadelphia, PA 19127. Tel:
610.420.7765. Contact: Doven Collins.
Neighborhood Bike Works,
3916 Locust Walk , Philadelphia, PA 19104. Tel.: 215-386-0316.
Contact: Andy Dyson. Email: info @neighborhoodbikeworks.org
Free Ride! Recycle-a-Bike, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Tel: 412-731-4094. Contact: Erok Boerer. Email: freeride @bike-pgh.org
*. Open three days a week; youth Earn-a-Bike and open shop.
- Youth Bike League, 201 Mcknight Park Dr., Pittsburgh PA 15237. Tel: 412-367-4034.
Contact: Linda Yadao.
Recycle-A-Bike, The Steel Yard,
27 Sims Ave, Providence, RI 02909. Tel: 401-831-9327.
Email: info @recycleabike,org *
Saskatchewan, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia
- Core Neighborhood Youth Co-op, 414 Ave B South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 0Z9 Canada. Tel.:
306-665-3889. Contact: Lenore Swystun.
- Revolutions: A Community Bicycle Initiative, 1000 S Cooper St, Memphis TN
38104. Tel: 901-949-1201. Email: anthony @riseup.net *
Halcyon Bike Workshop, 1704 Charlotte Ave, Nashville TN 37203.
Austin Yellow Bike
Project, 5013 E 51st St, Austin TX 78723, . Tel:
1-512-457-9880. Email: austinyellowbike @juno.com *. Six
week course for kids 12-16 years old. Kids get to pick out a bike from our
warehouse, or bring one of their own. They are led through a complete teardown
and rebuild of the bikes they choose. The program is completed by outfitting
the kids with lights, a lock and a helmet, and going on a safety ride. Summer
Camp All Saints, Pottsboro, TX 75076.
Mountain bike programs for children.
Salt Lake City Bike Collective,
PO Box 2400, Salt Lake City, UT. Tel: 801-328-BIKE. Contact: Jonathan Morrison.
Email: info @slcbikecollective.org *
Phoenix Youth Bike, Barcroft
Park, 4100 S. Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington VA. Tel: 703-575-7762.
Contact: Colin Dixon. It serves teens through an after-school program.
Phoenix Bikes is a project of the Greenbrier Learning Center.
Washington & Wisconsin
Sharing Wheels, Everett,
Longview, WA. Kids doing custom bikes and a community free bike program.
Bike Works, 3709 S. Ferdinand St
@ Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118. Tel: 206-725-9408. Contact: Jake
Beattie, Dir. Email: director @bikeworks.org
*. Programs include:
A retail storefront w/ professional mechanics, new & used stuff, used
bikes, and reasonable prices (basically a normal bike shop but with donated
goods and lower prices)
An earn-a-bike program for kids w/ its own classroom (our core program)
Youth Ventures - Rides etc for earn-a-bike graduates
Volunteers who work in the classroom space, fixing up bikes that are donate
around (generally to community groups, who award bikes to participants
based on merit--a way to not undercut the efforts of EAB kids by giving
An annual kids bike swap
Exports to Ghana
Bikes, 4245 W. Beltline Highway, Madison, WI 53711. Tel: 608-467-6315
Wheels for Winners,
229 S. Fair Oaks Ave, Madison, WI 53704. Tel.: 608-249-2418. Contacts: Majorie Ward.. Email:
wheelsforwinners @gmail.com *.
- Boys & Girls Club, Milwaukee WI. Has a bike program where kids fix donated
bikes and distribute them in the community. They gave out 400 in the summer of
2004. During the summer they have a mobile bike shop and go around to the
other clubs in the city fixing bikes.
Bikes, 2021A N. Martin Luther King Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53212. Tel: 414-763-0909
Milwaukee Bicycle Works, Milwaukee, WI
- Bicycle Council, N1367 Southern Rd, Lyndon Station, WI 53944. Tel: 608:666-2062. Contact: Jay Townley.
Outside North America
Bike Club (UK) Provides grant to
support youth bicycling activities. There are development officers in England,
Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Treadlies, Alice Springs, Australia. In the process of bicycle rebuilding,
Deadly Treadlies trains young people in a variety of skills: team work and
planning, mechanical skills, personal development and enterprise development.
Pedal MCR, Platt Fields Park, Manchester M14 6LA
(UK). Bike Recycling and
community education project with Earn a Bike and weekly Tool Club where you can
use our tools to fix your bike. Volunteers, bikes and parts always needed.