Program Leader & Assistant Leader Employment Information
Thank you for your interest in employment with Ibike / Bicycle Africa. Ours is a somewhat
unique travel program because it is a fund raiser and tries to promotes bicycle
transportation, as well as international knowledge and understanding. Funds from the
program are used for promoting bicycle transport, sustainable tourism, and development
projects. Leaders must manage logistics, teach, calm anxious nerves, maintain equipment
and do the cycling as well. The pay will not make you rich. Leaders are paid US$10-50
per day, depending upon the location and their experience, and are reimbursed for travel expenses.
Assistant leaders are hired locally, fed and housed, and paid US$0-10 per day depending
upon their experience in the area of the trip.
Leaders usually have previous direct experience with the program (often as assistant
leaders). Assistant leaders tend to be drawn from local nationals, development workers who
have lived in rural environments or past program participants.
We have few openings and positions are highly competitive. Our criteria for selecting
staff, somewhat in the order of priority, are:
- Broad knowledge of the region and detailed knowledge of the culture, history, natural
science, politics, social development and economic activity of the program area.
- First hand knowledge of the route and logistics of the trip -- we use roads that don't
show up on maps or have no street signs.
- Fluency and literacy in English and appropriate locally languages.
- Fitness and skill to do the bicycling (cycling 100km, 60 miles easily in a day) and
bicycle maintenance required.
- Leadership and a healthy lifestyle to lead a program where participants are of varied
ages and may be under stress from culture-shock.
- Acquaintance with the political, civic, corporate and development communities within the
- First-aid and emergency management skills.
- Computer literacy and good access to email.
If you are interested in being on the staff, please provide us with more details on how
you meet the criteria and which programs you interested in and available for. And, in all
cases you are invited to participate on a trip.
Bests of luck with your search for adventure.
P.S. If your have friends with an interest in the diversity of the world please feel free to tell them of
the program. As the program grows we will have more need to hire people!
Home | About Us
Search | Complete Program Schedule |
Program Philosophy | FAQ