Ibike Korea People-to-People Program

   
 

   

Photo essay: Hoeyang to Jinju

   

Hoeyang to Jinju (40mi, 65km) Jinju is a gem of a city, rich in culture and history.
Points of Interest:
Nammyeong Road

The ride is as good as a slide show -- every corner seems to beg another picture or two:

  Rice farm, lake, forest, hills, Korea Rice farm, lake, forest, hills -- another beautiful scene hard to do justice to with a camera -- click..
  rice farm, Korea Textures on the rice farms -- click -- a scene worth enjoying again late.
  A woman beating the beans off the stalk, Korea A woman beating the beans off the stalk -- click
  flat roadside space for drying rice, Korea Another flat roadside space for drying rice -- click
  A pavilion that would be shaded from the afternoon sun by the adjacent tree, Korea A pavilion that would be shaded from the afternoon sun by the adjacent tree.  They are also common along streams -- click.
  cell tower in the rice fields, Korea. A cell tower in the rice fields.  Korean is said to have almost 100% cell phone coverage and to be one of the most wired countries on the planet  -- click.
  Rice drying on the side of the road, Korea Woman racking rice drying on the side of the road, Korea.Nammyeong Road is a very low volume road.   There is rice laid out to dry on both sides of the road, and no tire tracks through it -- click.
  Yongeon-sa Yongeon-saYongeon-sa was originally begun in 1580.  Sancheonggun has a long history.  The famous Confucian scholar of the middle Joseon Dynasty, Master Nammyeong (1501-1572), was born, studied, and taught in this area -- click.
  Building restoration, Todong Restored building, TodongSeveral of the historic buildings in the area are being restored [2005].

The same buildings after the project was finished --click.

  Noeryong-jeong pavilion, Todong Noeryong-jeong pavilion was built by Master Nammyeong Jo Sik to study and to teach diciples.  He and Master Toegye Yi Hwang were the prominent Confusian scholars reigning over the academic world in Yeongnam. Master Nammyeong moved to Oetori when he was 48. The pavilion built at that time was destroyed and the present one was rebuilt in early 1900 by Heo Yu et al. The name Noeryong comes from the expression by Zhuangzi, "immobile like a page but a[[ears like a dragon, silent like a deep lake but shouts like the thunder when the moment come." The wooden main building has six front pillars and three side pillars with a single layered eaves and a hip-and-gable tile roof. The front has round pillars and the three rooms are on each side of the wooden floor hall -- click.
  twin steles of Oetori, Todong The twin steles of Oetori are believed to commemorate the filial piety of two men.  One, for Yi On was built in 1383.  The details of the other have been worn away -- click.
  shed full of garlic, Jinju A shed full of garlic -- click.
  greenhouses in the mix of agriculture activity, Jinju More greenhouses in the mix of agriculture activity -- click -- oh, a big pile of organic fertilizer in the foreground as well.  Greenhouses tend to be increasingly common as we approached big cities.  This farm is within ten miles of Jinju.
  Cows living their lives out in a shed, Jinju Cows living their lives out in a shed -- click.
The farms end and the city begins, Jinju The farms end and the city begins -- click.

Into Jinju.

 

Heoyang Jinju-si

Travelogue Main PageTour InformationTour mapRegister for this tour

 

Please contact us if you would like to be added to Ibike's mailing list or have questions, comments, corrections or criticism. (Also, please let us know how you learned about us and found this site.) Privacy policy.

  IBF Homepage           Ibike Programs            Ibike Schedule            Search

"Hosted by DreamHost - earth friendly web hosting"
Created by David Mozer
Copyright ?1993-2016 Ibike LLC. All rights reserved.